A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
225 posts Page 18 of 23
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

It was -5C when I first signed in. I saw a redpoll/siskin early on, and then a Bluetit.

Of course, the Great Tits showed up too.

I didn't see any Bullfinches, and not a lot of bird activity. It was above freezing when I signed off.
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Yesterday I saw very few birds, but I did see a Bluetit

I also saw 'Black Cheeks'

And before I signed off, I grabbed this blurred shot of a Great Tit

I'm posting these pics to show the temps and amount of food, compared to today, when the left hand fat feeder has gone, as can be seen in the screenshot below with a Great Tit visiting. You will also see that this is very early in the day (6:48 am) - I discovered that the cam was streaming at 6:30 am!

In the screenshot below, you can see a female Bullfinch in flight - discovering the feeder has gone!

It was just below freezing and very icy!

On another note - that shrinking snow pile at the left looks like it could possibly have been covering more abandoned cars! Daily we are seeing more of something revealed (although I believe the one we saw originally was removed).
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

I have yet to see any birds today. It has warmed up considerably since you were on...about 4 C when I signed on. It appears that they are streaming earlier and later...over an hour later these last few days than the week before.
I think that is a rock outcrop and hill to the left. The kids have been playing and going up and down on it and it appears to be rocky as they go up and down.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

The cam was streaming an hour earlier today - 6 am local time. I was surprised to see fresh snow - will winter ever end?

It was almost an hour before I saw a bird - Great Tit at the feeder

The only birds I saw were Great Tits.

It was above freezing when I signed off. Hope the don't get any more of the white stuff!
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Well, not many birds when I signed on either...just the usual few Great tits. At least it was above freezing and there was more snow melt and some sunshine off and on without snow. Weekend...little human activity.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Temps hovered around freezing again today, but no new snow. I was happy to see Bluetits visit the remaining feeder. I didn't see other birds, but didn't watch for long.

Have you ever wondered about the people in the red and white? It must be some kind of uniform.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Not much activity today. Just above freezing and sunshine. It seems the wind really is blowing the feeders, especially with the empty seed bin which acts like a sail. Birds do not like to land on moving things...makes them feel insecure; and wind does take away their body heat. Just saw the token tits. Have not seen the bullfinches in awhile, nor the other mystery birds.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Temps still hovering around zero. I saw Bluetits most often today. But also a Bullfinch and Great Tits. I often sa w birds flying close by the feeder, also, but not landing, or buzzing another bird which was on the feeder.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Excuse second post - I couldn't edit to add further observations! :scratch: :(

In this screencap of a Bluetit visiting the wildly swinging feeder, notice the figures in the upper left, beyond the gate. Looks like a group/class with a supervisor/teacher, while they shovel the snow. Watching live it was interesting to see they were in unison, like a chain gang!

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Van, like you, I have been unable to edit (sometimes) since they went to the new format; I have found I can edit soon after I post, but not later, so do not know if it is a time thing or number of times to edit or what? I posted a note in chat to Rick about this, but have not heard a reply.

Saw great and blue tits today. Also saw a large black bird flying lower with white bar across its wings...too fast to get a picture.

225 posts Page 18 of 23