A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
225 posts Page 1 of 23
brigadier

Hello.
Visit my webpage with live video is at https://birdfeeder.online/en/ !
Stream currently works 04:30-12:30 UTC (winter days are short here and now), it is somewhat usable 05:00-12:00 UTC. Other time you will probably see nice "We are sleeping" stream with current date, time and temperature of the feeder in its lower right corner.

AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

It's a very good webcam, very clear.
Which town is it in, Brigadier?
Is it at a school?
Al.
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Yesterday I saw twelve tits, six on each of the fat cakes, feeding furiously :D

I love to see all the people passing by too :)
brigadier

AussieAl wrote:
It's a very good webcam, very clear.
Which town is it in, Brigadier?
Is it at a school?
Thank you on the good words :)

The cam could be even more clear, but 1) it is a cheap USB webcam which can't give out decent framerates at higher resolutions, and even at its current 640x360 it obviously starts to drop the framerate from 20 FPS at sunset; 2; it is behind a window so there are visible reflections when there are direct sun rays.
On the other hand, I fully control the whole setup myself (i.e. no youtube or ustream or alike in the chain), and, after a year of trials and errors, can build and scale such setups :)

I am in a city which is in North-Western part of Russia or in North-Eastern part of Russia's european part.
The feeder and the cam are not at school, but the school is obviously beyond a frame's left edge, you're right :)
joiibear wrote:
Yesterday I saw twelve tits, six on each of the fat cakes, feeding furiously
You're lucky! I didn't see more than eight (5+3) yet, not counting those which sat on a stick.
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

More questions, Brigadier (sorry about that, lol).
Do you stream all year?
How long is it sunlit in mid-Summer?

Al.
brigadier

No, I don't stream all year, only when there is a snow on the ground. Other times, there is a lot of food for birds in a forest, so we don't feed them. So, the feeder and the stream work starting at November and until March, maybe first half of April.

On 22nd of December, I think, it will be a light at an interval of 08:00-15:00 local time. I mean "not fully dark". For birds, probably, it will be a little shorter time, such as 08:15-14:45. Our time zone is GMT+3 (3 hours ahead of UTC).
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I am enjoying watching these active little birds at your feeder. They appear at first light and seem to love your suet/fat mixture. What are you mixing with the suet? Many of us here in Canada put out suet (mixed with seeds) for the birds in winter. Chickadees (like your tits), Nuthatches and Woodpeckers are the birds we see most often at our suet feeders here on Vancouver Island. We also put out black sunflower seeds for them. Do you also use sunflower seeds in that container?

I took these screenshots a little while ago when 5 tits were there.

brigadier

These pies are made of mixture of oat flakes, dried apricots and bananas (tits seem to not like neither apricots nor bananas, as you can see), crushed peanuts and sunflower seeds without shells.

The feeder was initially created to feed black sunflower seeds, but birds show themselves capable to carry out up to 1 kg of the seeds per day, and that's both a little expensive and requires re-filling of the bottle each day.

Great tits seem to be the most frequent visitors of the feeder, but I already do see blue tits each day. I'm saying "already" because the further to winter, the more different species come to town. There were woodpeckers last season, and bullfinches are usual guests in February and March.
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

These tits come to the feeder before it gets light. Screenshot below was from yesterday morning.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

:good: I like watching it get light :tree:
225 posts Page 1 of 23