A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
230 posts Page 16 of 23
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Just come from there lol so pleased :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

It was just a little below freezing this morning, and the usual birds visited regularly.

A Great Tit

But who is this little bird?

A Great Tit again

And in these last three screenshots?

This bird came often and had none of the colour of the Tits or Bullfinches, and different striped markings. Maybe the female version of 'black cheeks'?
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Moderator please delete this post
Last edited by RB2sMom on March 11th, 2017, 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Bullfinch in first shot.

Great tit and "mystery bird" that you saw Van. More shots of mystery bird. It has a yellow beak and looks sort of sparrow like. Also saw black cheek later, but did not get a good shot.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Great new shots, RB and Van :-)

Ever since 'black cheeks' arrived I have been poring over my copy of the Collins Field Guide - Birds of Britain & Europe - New Edition (1993 lol ).

The new yellow beaked bird could be a siskin or a serin, the two often being confused.

Black cheeks: can't really find the black cheeks :wacko: I did think it could be a penduline tit but the black marking isn't quite right. It does look more like a tree sparrow, RB :-)

I expect there is someone reading who knows them very well :wave:

The golden trees look fabulous :D
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

joiibear wrote:

The new yellow beaked bird could be a siskin or a serin, the two often being confused.

I am so glad you said you thought this bird might be a siskin, because it reminded me so much of our little Pine Siskins that I see here all the time that I thought I was hallucinating! I knew it had to be very small, so I ruled out a sparrow.

(North American) Pine Siskin

Female Eurasian Siskin

Male Eurasian Siskin
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

:D :D :D Good one, Van :good:
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Good catch all....I will vote for siskin after seeing your postings. Interesting that Van and I both posted them on the same day.
They must be migrating through the area.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Just above freezing today. The Great tits came, and the bullfinches, and our new little birds...siskins or whatever.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Thanks for the screenshots, RB. I took a few last night, but was tired and went to bed without posting them.

What I noticed was that the little 'siskins' came very often, and were sometimes quite aggressive when on a feeder and another bird landed - lunging and pecking at the arriving one. I didn't get any good shots of the Bluetits, but they came too, although not as frequently as before, and often landing at the bottom of the right hand feeder, where they were only partially visible. I suspect that they are being kept away by the new arrivals, who seem to be of a similar size, and possibly outnumber them.

Most birds, except for the Bullfinches, seem to prefer the right hand feeder as it has more places to latch onto with the exposed 'netting'. The Bullfinches seem to prefer the upper left place, on the rod, which is a shame as the light is not so good there. I often saw them reaching down (like in your second screenshot) to the feeder below. The Great Tits don't seem to be phased by anything - they were still arriving in good numbers.

Now I am looking regularly for the Nuthatches that the 'blurb' says can be expected. I love those little birds and we see them daily here, all year round! They too are usually in the company of the Chickadees, which remind me so much of the Tits.
230 posts Page 16 of 23