A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
225 posts Page 20 of 23
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Nothing to report here. Hungry birdies with no food. Perhaps the host is just out of food and needs to go to the store, or is traveling perhaps, as the cam keeps streaming after dark? :scratch:
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Snowing again - 7.40am cam time - still no food :sad:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

When I tuned in at 6:30 am cam time I was not happy to see the feeders hadn't been replenished, so I shut the cam off.

Before heading to bed I decided I'd take another peek to see what was going on and was amazed and delighted to see there were seeds and a new fat feeder - and in the few moments I watched there were several visits by Tits and Bullfinches. I have no idea what time the feeders were filled and replaced.

Both the fat and the seeds were popular! And look at the size difference between the Bullfinches and the tiny Bluetit.

And, by the way, it was snowing!
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

:D :yahoo:
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, we got some seeds and suet block. Birds are back and it is snowing again, but above freezing.
Saw the usual great tit and another bird that was a pale yellow but had bright yellow feathers on it back (could not get a shot of its back with it moving and facing the cam). Also our nice bullfinches are back that had fights with the tits who seemed to win the battles over the bullfinches. Also seen was a pale beige or yellow bird with a black head...maybe just a tit with weird lighting or female bullfinch?

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

There has been heavy snow and the view at first light was very bright. Birds were fluttering around the feeder, with the first birds I saw being the familiar Bullfinches and Great Tits.

The new 'mystery' birds showed up in numbers shortly, showing more aggressive behaviour than we usually see.

I am pretty sure these birds are European Greenfinches

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia ... female.jpg

I was happy to see mixed groups often, especially the sweet little Bluetits.

I saw the dark cheeked bird too, but didn`t get good screen shots.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Van, quite a heavy snowfall on everything, especially the trees. I agree with your European finch ID....good call. Snow had stopped pretty much when I got on and it progressively warmed up and thawed. Saw several sightings of the mystery finch and its bright yellow plumage, as well as our usual tits and bullfinches.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Great shots of all the birds, RB and Van :good:

Lovely scene with the snow stuck to all the branches :)

Pity the suet cake isn't on the other side now; it looks more difficult for the birds to get the seed out with the pile of seed sloping back towards the other side of the bottle.

I, too, think those birds are greenfinches - I always think they look a bit angry/annoyed lol Was one feeding the other? ... romantic meal out? :D
💚
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Spring is coming and courtship may be starting....cardinals are feeding each other here. Plus the aggressive birds may be trying to set up breeding territories. :heart: :rose: :wedding:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

At first I thought the one bird was feeding the other, but I saw this behaviour often while I watched where one on the suet would lunge at any other that approached. But - maybe they are getting amorous - but Spring must be a long way off there - and I am guessing that those birds are still migrating ...

And I'm sorry for the duplicate pic - it was late, I was tired and meant to post another one - couldn't get back in to edit when I noticed it.
225 posts Page 20 of 23