A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
225 posts Page 21 of 23
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

I didn't notice that, Van :D on the phone, scrolling with them enlarged - had to go looking for them :yes: lol
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Here's the pic I meant to post yesterday. The beak on this bird looked so huge, it reminded me of the Grosbeaks we see here.

I didn't see as many Greenfinches today.

I love the Bluetits, and the lovely fiery colour of the Bullfinch.

I agree, joii that it is unfortunate that the seed container is sloping down to the left. The level is going down quickly, and birds are now struggling to get at the seed.

I just hope we don't see a bird getting stuck inside the container. :(

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Blowing snow light but almost sideways, but temps over freezing. Birds coming and going....only saw tits and bullfinches. I did see some actually stick their beak inside the seed bin and pull seeds out, so some that go the extra mile are able to get seeds also.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

I think ole 'big beak' up there is probably a Hawfinch, Van :-)
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

March 28th, 2017, 4:50 amjoiibear wrote:
I think ole 'big beak' up there is probably a Hawfinch, Van :-)

Brilliant joii - I've never heard of them, but I knew it looked different,and reminded me so much of our Grosbeaks. I didn't see one today, but wasn't watching continuously.

The hawfinch (Coccothraustes coccothraustes) is a passerine bird in the finch family Fringillidae. Its closest living relatives are the evening grosbeak (Hesperiphona vespertinus) from North America ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawfinch

Meanwhile today it was busy with all the usual characters first thing.

I saw a Greenfinch a bit later, but certainly not hordes of them like the other day.

It gradually warmed up, and visits were less frequent, with many birds checking, then giving up on the seeds, and going for the fat.

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

It appears that more species of birds are coming through during spring migration and also birds that might reside here in the spring and summer. Nice snow melt today, warmer too, with tire tracks showing up to pavement or dirt beneath. Some birds are able to reach in the seed bin and pull out seeds.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

There was lots of bird activity when the cam started streaming at daybreak.

The Hawfinch was back - seen below with the Tits:

Then a Bullfinch arrived:

And minutes later the Greenfinches (with their fluorescent yellow wing bars) arrived

I love this one - the two different finches were playing peek-a-boo either side of the feed container! (look how big the Hawfinch is) The Hawfinch began pecking at the feeder from that position, like a woodpecker.

Then the Great Tit at the left below started doing the same thing. Wonder if they're trying to make a hole to get the seeds out from that end. Clever birds!

Love the shot below - the Bluetit is by the seed feeder for a change. Usually they are the acrobats on the fat ball.

It was snowing again when I left!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

It's snowing heavily now (11:40 am nest time). I just popped in for a last peek before shutting down when I noticed something poking out of the seed feeder container where I'd seen them pecking earlier. Did the birds somehow do this? It wasn't there before.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Lovely shots, RB and Lucky :D

I saw six birds together on the suet cake a little while ago :)

I also saw a blue tit pecking at the plastic last night, Lucky ...

... but what's going on now? - there's a hole facing us; could have just perished in the cold, I suppose ... however ...

... I didn't see any birds at the left-hand side pecking site just now but I don't​ think the bottle could have been swivelled round that much and the portal still appear on the right-hand side :unsure: :-)
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Oh, I see them pecking at the new hole on the left-hand side again now :good: lol
225 posts Page 21 of 23