A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
246 posts Page 24 of 25
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

No birds seen yet
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

I've only just noticed, from your screenshot, Van, the bit of perch/stick either side of the feeder. The right-hand portal looks blocked with snow..might not actually be the case though :-)
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

I am up at 5:30 AM just to see the Russian cam. The view appears to be turned upward somewhat than the year before and a little bit more to the right. I am not seeing any birds either....back to bed soon....

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Still no birds, but seeing our usual smokers at the door and a child reaching up to taste snow off a a branch....

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Well, it seems that it is getting dark there very early....the shortest day of the year there now...in the Northern Hemisphere...gets dark about 15:15....yikes. I was up a little after 7 am my time in Atlanta, so saw the cam in waning light for about 15 minutes...no activity...bird wise. I am wondering if the temperature reading is accurate on this cam now, it is always measuring 0.0C and last year it was above and below this and changing hour wise?

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

March 11th, 2017, 4:44 amjoiibear wrote:
Great new shots, RB and Van :-)

Ever since 'black cheeks' arrived I have been poring over my copy of the Collins Field Guide - Birds of Britain & Europe - New Edition (1993 lol ).

... <snip> ...
Black cheeks: can't really find the black cheeks :wacko: I did think it could be a penduline tit but the black marking isn't quite right. It does look more like a tree sparrow, RB :-)

I expect there is someone reading who knows them very well :wave:

Remember 'Black Cheeks"? Well I've seen plenty of them on the Czech cam - and they are much clearer there - and look very much like sparrows. I checked last night and discovered that it appears to be an Eurasian Tree Sparrow!

Image https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eur ... Sparrow/id#
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Here are some observations and pics of "black cheeks" viewtopic.php?p=85057#p85057 and viewtopic.php?p=85084#p85084 It looks as though you were right about the tree sparrow, joii! (see previous post where I quoted you). :) :good:
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Brilliant, Van :good: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I must admit I haven't been thinking of them whilst viewing the Czech cam - will have to get more in the zone lol
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Well, the feeder looks the same after a number of days. Not seeing any birds. I think the seed must be rancid and old and the birds do not want it or perhaps the entry ports are frozen. Perhaps the hosts are away for the holidays.
I did get a pic of the kids coming home from school today.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

246 posts Page 24 of 25