A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
225 posts Page 6 of 23
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for posting...still not seeing anything but great tits. Looks like we are out of seeds....less birds coming now...going for the suet that looks like it has dried fruits in it....
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like we are out of seeds. The cam was streaming this morning (till 8 am Eastern USA time). It was a little warmer than it has been at -12C or so. I did not see any birds the whole time. It was quite windy, and birds do not like wind as it sucks the heat right out of them. I still see that one car on the bottom left has been stuck in the snow drift since I started watching this cam while other cars come and go. Not many people out and about ....but it is the weekend. Love this cam far away in another part of the world. :yes:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

This cam was streaming for the first 4 hours that I watched from around 7:30 am local time. I checked in intermittently, and when it first started streaming it 'stalled' a few times. The earlier temperatures were colder (-23C) so it warmed up during the day. During the hours that I watched I did see birds - but only Great tits and Blue tits, and only infrequently.

(The car in the snow bank seems to be an abandoned car.)
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Cam was streaming until 8 am Eastern USA time again. Temp was up to -9.6C (16F). Seeds are now almost completely gone. Birds come and nibble at the suet cakes (mostly the right one) and check the seeds and leave. Enjoy seeing this other part of the world and snow that I would not want to be in. :-)
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Light snow was falling for the first couple of hours, from when the cam first started streaming at 7:30 local time. The first Great tit showed up after half an hour, then more came to feed on the suet cakes.

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Van, more snow fell by the time I saw it in my morning. You could not see the driveway areas as they were completely covered up. The temp was up to -7C or so. Only great tits seen. Not as many without seeds in the barrel.
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Lovely shots of the birds, Van :)

Thank you for the diary entries, too, RB and Van :good:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I was unable to post this account and these pics last night as I lost internet connection.

It snowed quite heavily at times and the Great tits began arriving in greater numbers. Usually I can distinguish the Blue tits, but I saw none in the short time I watched (3 hours off and on from 7:30 am local time). Both suet feeders were popular - the seed container is still totally empty.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Today I saw all three species of birds visiting the feeder!

First, a Blue Tit:

Then some Great Tits:

And then a pair of Bullfinches showed up:

Later ...

Note: For comparison, Great Tit vs Blue Tit:

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Very nice Van! Lots of daylight now when the cam goes off at 8 am Eastern USA time. Kids playing in that abandoned car today and sliding down the snow bank....need seeds in the seed barrel...
225 posts Page 6 of 23