A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Re: A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Post#61 » February 5th, 2017, 12:15 am

Well we are out of seeds now. A lot of the birds come and check out the seed bin and leave; a few eat the suet but seeds seem to be the bigger priority when they are there. I got a shot of a great tit and then several shots of those same 3 kids playing in and out of that abandoned car that has been there forever in that snow bank.

ImageHannah / RB2sMOM /HarryImage

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

Post#62 » February 5th, 2017, 6:22 am

It's interesting to see the screenshots from later in the day, RB. Thanks for posting them here!

I meant to post some from earlier, but was tired last night. Here they are now - it didn't warm up much during the day!

Great Tit at suet feeder:

I saw frequent visits by Blue Tits also, but 'lost' the screenshots I took. I didn't see any Bullfinches, though.

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

Post#63 » February 5th, 2017, 8:33 pm

The weather hasn't changed much - occasional light snow and similar temperatures to the last few days.

I noticed Blue tits first, and they came to the feeders singly. Below was the first bird I saw - a Blue tit:

As usual I saw more Great tits, often in small groups. But this puffed up little one stayed on the feeder for a few minutes, and came back a few times to linger - it seemed to be especially cold and hungry and not as active as the other visitors.

Here is a fairly typical group of Great tits:

There were few people around on this Sunday morning, and for the first time I noticed several little birds on the ground - maybe sparrows. I was glad I didn't see the cat I've seen on previous days!

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Post#64 » February 7th, 2017, 12:09 am

This tit was eating suet about 15 minutes before the cam goes off. Minus 16C plus today.

Time for a smoke. If you are a smoker and have to smoke outside, good luck in this cold climate. Notice where the abandoned car was down in the lower left; appears to be covered completely by more snowfall or maybe moved.

Another tit at the other suet, just before the cam went off about 8 am Eastern Time in USA. Still lots of light. Hoping they will extend the cam time with more daylight.

:cold: :cold: :cold:

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Post#65 » February 7th, 2017, 1:10 am

Great shots, Van and RB :-)

Funny about the car hahaha I reckon the kids have 'buried' it :yes:

Good to see the bullfinches again :) I like the way the sunlight renders the snow-packed path golden :D

(Showing in Van's shots of 3rd Feb, page 6)

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

Post#66 » February 7th, 2017, 1:01 pm

I'm pretty sure the abandoned car is gone! When I watched yesterday I was surprised to see the gap in the snowbank. The kids will probably still have fun sliding down that snowbank, though.

It was very cold, and I saw mostly Bluetits visiting, singly. Below are my screenshots - maybe it's the same one each time - hard to tell, but on many visits the puffed up little bird lingered a while.

The screenshot below is of an acrobatic Great Tit - I love the way they hang upside down.

It didn't warm up much while I watched. :(

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

Post#67 » February 7th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Today it was colder and brighter. The first birds I saw were Bluetits:

Then the Great Tits arrived:

The sunlight provided interesting views of surrounding buildings I hadn't noticed before. And as predicted, the kids congregated on the snow mound beside where the abandoned car had been.

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Post#68 » February 8th, 2017, 12:26 am

Well maybe someone saw my posting here about the kids playing in the abandoned unlocked car, and decided to move it. :wacko:

The below picture from the web shows the difference between blue tits and great tits....hard to see sometimes the pattern or the color as they move so fast and sometimes the lighting is so dim it is hard to tell.

Great Tit and Blue Tit

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Post#69 » February 8th, 2017, 2:17 am

Ah! Great minds think alike :D Van posted this pic on 3rd Feb (page 6). It's good to have it to hand though.

You're right! - the car doesn't seem to be there. It's amazing what you can imagine :-) I really thought the kids had covered it in snow lol

Lovely shots, Van ... that poor fluffed up bird :( hope it continues to survive :)

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

Post#70 » February 8th, 2017, 7:10 pm

The morning started with a red sky! I guess we'll be seeing more snow!

The kids were heading to school. The first birds I saw were Bluetits.

Then a Great Tit arrived.

And more Bluetits:

This Bluetit turns its head to discard a shell (in its beak)!

Then a mixed group - one Bluetit with two Great Tits:

It seemed very dark, but was not snowing when I left.

Return to “Pets, Wildlife and other Animal Talk”