A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
225 posts Page 8 of 23
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Nice shots Van...I guess the blue tits are early risers like our rosellas that come early in the Aussie cams.....I saw just great tits again....but hard to tell because of the poor light that time of the day there. Thanks for posting...nice light in the morning. :yes:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

This morning the first bird I saw was a Great Tit:

After a few minutes, the second arrival was a Bluetit:

The schoolkids were already starting to make their way through the gates, as they do every morning before 8 am. Many of them carried skis.

Half an hour later a group of 15/20 glided off through the trees on their skis.

This Bluetit came to the feeder while a skier practised just beyond the gate.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

The temperature was 'warmer' today. I was a little late visiting and it was a while before I saw any birds.

The kids all streamed through the gate for school by 8 am, and shortly after the skiers were gliding along the Nordic track under the trees.

With less activity below, the birds started visiting the feeders which will need replacing before long.

There were constantly skiers on the trail, travelling from left to right - although hard to see in the screenshots.

At noon there is usually lots of human activity, so bird visits were not frequent.

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Nice pictures Van....looks like a place where skiing is a neccesity for getting around. This is the warmest that I have seen this place. It had warmed to -2C or so when I viewed this morning (Eastern Time USA about 8am). I finally got a blue tit. Lots of activity walking around etc..

There is a PayPal donation place at the bottom. Part of it is in Russian, so did a Google translate to get through it. They say they need donations for the sunflower seeds, so I decided to help in a small way.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Great shots, Van and RB :good:

It's certainly warmed up, RB - in one of Van's shots the temperature was registering at -1.3°C. This morning I saw two boys and one looked to be in just a pullover, no coat :-)
I watched the skiing...and groups of them milling about before and crocodiling away afterwards to the top right of the picture and out of shot.

I donated to the cam in December but haven't since. Will do again.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Snowing again here. Not as warm as yesterday, but relatively warmer than the rest of the week. Shot below was just before cam went off.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

It was a bit colder earlier in the day, RB. I took a few screenshots but forgot to post them.

There was quite a bit of human activity mid-morning - adults with young children coming and going through the gate in small groups. It was not a school day so I didn't see the usual kids hurrying to school before 8 am, and no skiers.

I saw both Great Tits and Bluetits, but no Bullfinches.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Things were very quiet this Sunday morning, with very few people around. It looked like there had been more snow.

These Great Tits were the first signs of life:

Later, this Bluetit was at the feeder while a small group of children and parents (?) assembled.

The feeders are starting to look pretty meagre:

Who left the door open? After 10 minutes it closed!

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps the group of children were getting a group picture? The lighting is much better at your time of the day Van.

Wow, it had warmed up to -1.0 C. Got a screenshot of one great tit before the cam went off.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

The milder weather continues - and the shrinking feeders won't last much longer!

It is now much lighter when the cam starts streaming at 7:30 am. I think the cam angle has changed slightly. We can now see the corner edge of the balcony at the lower left.

The kids were heading to school, many carrying skis, which were put to use later on that ski track, which was busy during the time I watched.

When it looked as though a blizzard was starting, I noticed that big lumps of snow were coming down, so either it got really windy, or the balcony above was being cleared!

The birds stayed away for a while - then the Great Tits returned:

And a Bluetit!

225 posts Page 8 of 23