A bird feeder in Russia (live webcam, winter only)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
191 posts Page 9 of 20
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Nice shots Van...will their snow ever stop? Nonetheless, it is warmer than it has been....-3C before the cam signed off. Slim pickins for the birdies now...windy today...feeders swaying.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Great shots again, Van and RB :good:

I like the light at both ends of the day and I love the shots with figures in. They look really striking against the snow :)

You know that last shot on Page 8 ... well doesn't it look as though a giant suet ball has been lowered onto that car parked outside the gate and crushed it LOL

Brilliant shot, Van lol
vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like it has snowed a bit - and the suet/fat feeders are swinging, so it is still windy. It is a bit colder.

People were already heading to school/work at 7:30 a.m.; cars also pull up to let individuals out who head through the gates:

A Bluetit was the first arrival I saw.

People come from all directions to stream through the gates. The rush is on - I think school must start at 8 am. I have noticed that when there are lots of people below, there are fewer or no bird visits.

Two large dogs came racing by (can you see the white one with the black face/head?) ...

Quite a bit later I saw this dog being walked. Most dogs I've seen have been running loose.

RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a lot of dogs running loose lately also...big dogs, not little ones. Snowing this morning and not quite as warm as around -5C.....does it ever quit snowing?

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

Temperatures were similar again today, and at times it snowed heavily.

The feeders are getting very small and saw a lot of visits while I watched. There was a lot of activity below for the first hour or so, and today it didn't seem to deter the birds - they came often, sometimes 3 or 4 on the shrinking feeders.

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

I had to add this screenshot before I shut down for the night. No birds around, and lots of people gathering below. The birds have 'carved' the left-hand fat ball into a 'crescent' half-moon shape.

Last edited by vanislander on February 16th, 2017, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Well, maybe the gathering has something to do with a group picture or some time of group activity? Yes the seeds are gone and the suet balls are shrinking. Maybe the host is traveling? I and at least one other person made a donation for seeds. I sent a PM to the host but it has not been accessed. I mentioned that we would like to hear more about her/him (if that is not too personal), exactly where it is, and what it is like to live there and pictures of the property and area around the buildings in summer without snow, since they do not run the cam then. I am still fascinated with this far off place and the people and wildlife there.

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

There is very little left of the fat/suet feeders. I hope they are replaced soon.

The crescent shaped piece is barely hanging there - it could easily break or be dislodged.

Funny to see this Bluetit pecking at the point of the 'crescent'!

It keeps reminding me of ...

vanislander
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't notice as many visits today - sometimes it was 30 minutes or so between visits, and occasionally I saw two birds at a time - though I worried about them breaking the 'crescent'.

Then I saw a vivid flash!

Guess the Bullfinches are still around, though I only saw this one.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Van, love your croissant comparison lol. And.....I have yet to see a bullfinch live.

Very little activity today on the shrinking food source. However, change in streaming time to almost one hour beyond what it has been streaming to almost 9 am my time and 5 pm their time. Not too cold...about -5 C. Are they now streaming earlier also with more daylight?

There is a black and white cat on ledge just to the left of the green door. I watched it for awhile and it moved around when people came by. Blue tit I think.

Lots of activity between 4:30-5 pm their time. Kids playing on snow banks and throwing snow balls. People walking dogs. One kid went over (one in blue at left) and kicked what appeared to be that car we had been watching several times...... and tried to get some snow off it. That car still appears to be there but covered with snow.
191 posts Page 9 of 20