Window treatments (to help prevent bird strikes)

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
7 posts Page 1 of 1
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

We have many large windows to maximize our view - not just of the garden and landscape, but of the variety of birds that come to our feeders. The problem has been, that even if the windows don't get cleaned very often (hopefully a deterrent to birds) and if we have a few stickers on the glass, and suncatchers hanging in front of many windows, we still have birds flying into the windows.

I recently purchased some "Window Alert" stickers that are placed on the outside of the window, and are barely visible from inside, although the birds can see them, and have noticed that we do have fewer bird strikes, but the problem still exists! However, I am always looking for other ideas, so I'm hoping that others will share some of their solutions here.

A "Window Alert" sticker seen from inside the house.

Below are photos taken over the past day or so, showing the kinds of things we have on our windows to try and prevent birds flying into them.

Above you can see two "Window Alert" stickers, and a colourful kookaburra decal we purchased in Australia many years ago. We have a few of these Aussie decals on various windows:

Above 4 photos were taken today, on a particularly wet and stormy day. They also illustrate just how many windows we have (next photo below is of a window off to the side of the last one above)!

Another window treatment that breaks up the area of glass that the birds hopefully can see, is something hanging, as in the following:

We place items on the window ledges too - hoping that they might deter the birds:

The photo above has something hanging and something on the ledge - but also has plants outside the window which the hummingbirds love to come to - and where birds flying towards the window might be more likely to slow down!

Even windows that have closed blinds can reflect the surrounding scenery. When I posted a photo of the side of our garage the other day, I was amazed to see that those windows reflected the trees and foliage close by - and probably have seen a few bird strikes we wouldn't have been aware of.
:(

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

I know it's not the point, Van..but I love losing myself in your photos - beautiful outlook :) 💚
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Thanks for getting me thinking about this issue, joii. You pointed out those reflections on the garage windows and it got me thinking ...

And, BTW, when you lost yourself in those photos - you could have helped finish the crossword and sudoku!
:crazy: :read: :P
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

I agree with Joii, Van.
I have never seen a photo of your gardens where I haven’t wished that I could explore them and lose myself (mentally) in them.
My genuine compliments go to the gardener.
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Oh hellfire and damnation :doh: I didn't think about that lol
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

I posted this in chat earlier:

Van another deterrent for keeping birds from crashing into the glass is to hang a rubber snake down from the eaves....it works for us...also hung old CD's on strings on porch to keep bird from pooping on our front porch.....also some good suggestions here: http://www.sialis.org/windowstrikes.htm
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Thanks for all the kind comments!

RB - I was hoping you'd post that link - thank you! It contains some very useful information, and other links. However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to hang 'snakes' from our eaves. :swoon:

Some years ago I saw some little straw 'owls' which I thought I'd hang, discreetly and strategically along our largest living room windows. We had to take them down, however, after a hawk crashed heavily into the window - obviously it had thought the little owls were dinner! The hawk recovered after a few minutes and flew off.

Here is a photo I've posted elsewhere in the forum, showing the mesh screen we placed in front of one window which the hummingbirds were crashing into. The male rufous hummingbirds are very feisty and zoom in to protect the feeder, and tackle any other males. We knew we had to do something about the occasional crashes, and this mesh worked wonders. We have never had a problem since installing it. In the photo you can see that a 'bluebird suncatcher' is hanging on the inside of the window - it could actually be moved to another window now, as the mesh keeps all birds from hitting that window.

It is not just windows that birds can fly into - any glassed-in, reflective, or clear surface can present a hazard if birds see it as something they can fly through. We discovered this after using clear plexiglass panels in our deck railings, so the solution was also to install netting/mesh over each panel. The video below, which I also posted in the Hummingbird topic, shows how this looks.

7 posts Page 1 of 1