A Birdfeeder in Czechoslovakia

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
36 posts Page 3 of 4
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Thanks for the translation joii. I guess some things get lost in translation though - wondering exactly what some of these are (especially "common jellyfish" and "jellyfish green"): :D
Bird species that you can see on the transmission from Makova

pheasant grasshopper, pink-eyed grasshopper, grasshopper, grasshopper, grasshopper, thistle-thruster, turf dove, broadleaf, wild duck, hawthorn, blackbird, sparrow, , Common Pheasant, Common Kestrel, Common Pheasant, Common Jellyfish, Common Pheasant, Small Spotted Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Common Woodpecker, Common Woodpecker, Great Woodpecker, wild heron, white heron, white squirrel, domestic sparrow, field sparrow, bell green, bellflower garden, dwarf gray, jellyfish green. In addition to the feeders the otters are big.
The woodpecker clearly must have been a Spotted Woodpecker. I didn't see it when I watched for a while last night. I did, however, see what looked like a Eurasian Collared Dove (we have a pair that visits our feeders here - they are an introduced species).

http://natureconservation.in/eurasian-c ... te-detail/
Eurasian Collared-Doves reported in most parts of word. Generally found in Asia, Bulgaria, Europe, Balkan, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Turkey east to southern China and south through India to Sri Lanka. Throughout the drier portions of the Indian Umpire, ascending seasonally and locally up to 10,000 ft. in the Himalayas. Two races are recognized viz., the India-Assam-Ceylon decaodo, and the Burma race xanthocyla. Its original ranges are India, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, and also some parts of Asia. Towards the half of the 20th century, the species extended to the rest of Europe, including into the northern part. It was introduced in the Bahamas into the 1970s and in Florida in the 1980s. Since this period, it gradually colonizes the North American continent.
I also watched deer in the distance, through the trees. Oh - and a hand that topped up that very clean-looking basket/feeder - and chucked some items (cobs of corn?) onto the stack of hay.
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

lol

I was there too, Van, when the reinforcements arrived :D
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I saw the woodpecker again - it chased the jay off the feeder!

Then a worker arrived and replenished the seed, etc. making up an attractive colourful basket.

A ' sheaf 'of leafy branches was later hung by the hay pile. You can see it below.

There is a deer there, also greenfinches, a bluetit and a nuthatch too.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Nice screenshots....I guess we are getting our "fix" since the Russian cam is not working. I wonder if it will snow there? The worker did not seem too bundled up ...... maybe not that cold there yet?
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I found these YouTube links for the Czech cams (there are two)

Cam 1 - basket bird feeder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jECodSsU8Ds

Cam 2 - pond : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSh_5G3sN_A

It is currently snowing there - I watched a deer and ducks on cam 2 just a few minutes ago (in the middle of the night) 1:30-1:45 am Czech time!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Deer feeding by the pond - snow falling. Around 3 am local time. Current temp -4C and light snow falling.

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

They look like synchronised swimmers much of the time :D
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I found this list of birds we can expect to see on the feeder
BIRD SPECIES – webcam Makov

Heron, Black Stork, White Stork, Mallard, Greyland Goose, Mute Stan, Common Buzzard, Sparrow Hawk, Kestrel, Pheasant, Collared Turtle-dove, Tawny Owl, Green Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Hedge Sparow, Robin, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Coal Tit, Marsh Tit, Willow Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Nuthatch, Tree Creeper, Yellowhammer, Hawfinch, Chaffinch, Brambling, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Siskin, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Jay, Magpie, Raven, Wren
http://www.makov.cz/?action=webcam
I find the pond creatures interesting also. When food was set out this morning several deer trotted over to sample it, followed shortly after by this White stork
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

36 posts Page 3 of 4