A Birdfeeder in Czechoslovakia

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
48 posts Page 5 of 5
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

They're probably reared for that purpose - or are some of the male chicks the egg 'industry' dispose of :wacko:
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Joi, you are probably right...here in the USA you can get dead chicks and other dead things at supply stores to feed snakes, etc. Or perhaps it is a dead chick from the rescue that did not make it. Nature had its scavengers..... :glare:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Yes, I believe that this is the case - chicks that were hatched for this purpose seems most likely. It was just shocking to me to see it take place in front of the camera.

The things were dripping, so I'm guessing they had recently been put there, in a bowl/bucket of water expressly for the herons and other meat/fish eaters. If it had been a small fish I wouldn't have found it as distasteful or been nearly as surprised! (Which says a lot about how we are 'conditioned' in our attitudes to warm vs cold-blooded creatures).
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Several times I have seen a larger dark bird (maybe thrush size?) visit the bird feeder before daylight, and before any other birds arrive. I have not seen it in daylight. Any idea what it might be?

Today, before 7AM:

Two days ago, similar time:

Also, I am seeing lots of Eurasian Tree Sparrows (look like these were the mystery 'black cheek' birds on the Russian cam last season!)

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Yes, I definitely think it's from the thrush family, Van - could be a female blackbird; they're usually first on the scene and often in one of our trees when it's still dark.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Sure looks like the Eurasian tree sparrow.....
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Almost daily when I check in on this birdfeeder cam, before 11 PM PST, I see the dark shape of the thrush/blackbird lingering on the edge of the basket/feeder. Here it was on December 29 early morning.

Last night it was very bright because of the full moon, and I was amazed to see, very clearly for so early in the morning, this much smaller bird greeting the new year!

It looked so familiar - but I have not seen this little bird for many, many years - I posted the screenshot in chat to see if joii recognized/verified what it was! (She did - thank you, joii.)

I was sure it was this bird!

An English Robin! It made my day!
:D :heart:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

The robin was there again before daylight, lingering for a while until a worker arrived to change the seed basket.

I also saw what could be a female Blackbird, along with the Spotted Woodpecker, in daylight.

Female Blackbird
48 posts Page 5 of 5