Winter Approaches!

Chat about gardening, plants, flowers and other backyard/garden things in here!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I live in the mildest part of Canada, but as December approaches (tomorrow) thoughts of 'snow' occur! We have had so much rain that the memory of our drought last summer is distant, almost hard to believe as we have had record rainfalls for October and November. Of course, all that rain falls as snow in the mountains, and our local mountain is becoming very white!

The first photos below show the view from 3 weeks ago:

Here is how it looked yesterday:

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I spent a little while looking around the yard for things that were flowering, and was quite surprised to see that our Eucalyptus trees are blooming!

In fact, if I look back at the earlier photos in previous post, I can see their flowers then too!

There were quite a few other things flowering, that I'll share, as a reminder that winter doesn't have us in its grip yet!

I love the bright colours of the Fuchsias, below. These photos don't do them justice as their colours are like bright jewels on a dull day. The hummingbirds love them too! Because they are quite 'tender' they have now been moved to the greenhouse.

The winter camellia grows at the fence - it's always lovely to see it before winter finally hits!

The Hellebores under the forest canopy seem to be early, but they will flower for much of the winter, and we do have many of them happily brightening the 'forest' floor.

We have several native Mahonias ('Oregon grape') which are adding some brightness to the shady areas too:

Even the Cotoneaster berries add some colour to these grey days - and the birds have 'planted' these shrubs all over our yard:

Several varieties of holly are also producing berries, but I only took a picture of this one - a yellow variety, that also adds a bit of cheer (and the birds like it too)!

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Wonderful, Van :) bright and sunny. Love the pink ones, so atmospheric.

Do you see the snow falling onto the mountain and is that a flagpole by the railings? :-)
Elsa
Contributor
Contributor

Great Photos, Van. hugsiciles
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Well - WINTER ARRIVED!

It looked very picturesque when the snow started falling yesterday - when viewed through the windows!

Snow falling, seen from our 'sunroom'.

This was the view on the other side of the house - poor palm tree!

The Mahonia wasn't looking too bad - it's used to this climate.

The eucalyptus didn't look quite so happy!

And the greenhouse didn't have much snow on it at all!

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

That was yesterday! After the heavy wet snow began accumulating we had a short power cut, probably caused by a heavy branch hitting a power line. The poor trees and shrubs really suffered from the weight of that wet snow. Many branches came down in our yard - at least a dozen, over 12 feet long, creating further damage to the shrubs below them. We prayed that the greenhouse would be spared!

Here is the greenhouse area today, after the snow accumulated and branches began falling!

Thank goodness there was no damage to the glass.

The driveway was a mess of broken branches that came down because of the heavy snow (these pics are after many were pulled aside and removed). We often see branches down in windstorms but it was not windy!

On the other side of the house, the amount of snow that we saw this morning shows

The bird feeders got replenished!

The top of our smallest eucalyptus broke off and came down. :(

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Some of the other snow damage is so sad. (Did I say, I hate snow - and winter!)

This branch came down across the fence toward our neighbour's - beside the frozen bird bath (which we later added warm water to).

The Rosemary 'hedge' that the hummingbirds love so much when it flowers in the winter should be on those pics - it was 5 ft tall - but that branch flattened the Rosemary bushes! Our driftwood 'bird' is still standing though!

Our poor 'broken' Camellia.

These rhododendrons were broken and flattened - one used to be 15 feet tall!

Meanwhile, across the Bay on the web cam that looks towards our place, all seemed idyllic this afternoon!

joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Sorry about all the damage, Van ... good that the greenhouse and driftwood bird were ok.

The videos and pics are great - very seasonal indeed - lovely to see :)
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

Quite a lot of damage there, Van.
Even in these conditions, your yard still looks wonderful.
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

Van, what a beautiful home and yard you have....did not know you had a greenhouse. :good:
10 posts Page 1 of 1