Spring is Finally Here

Chat about gardening, plants, flowers and other backyard/garden things in here!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Winter seemed to go on for far too long, so now I am really starting to enjoy the signs of Spring we see in our yard. I realize that, living on the west coast, things are quite a bit milder here, so I hope those who are still in the grip of winter enjoy an opportunity to look forward to signs of Spring. I will share some of the photos I took over the past few days.

Even though it is still early days – we haven’t seen frost or snow for a while now - we’ve had plenty of rain! But as I like to say at this time of year (in this hemisphere) “Spring showers … bring … flowers”

Almond tree couple of weeks ago (above) and yesterday (below)

Bergenia, just starting to flower …

And a neighbouring plant, after the deer had visited!

Heather is thriving now, and we have very much of it around the yard.

Pink heather above – and white heather below

Our Australian mint bush was taken out of the greenhouse where it was beginning to flower, and is doing well outside in a pot. The tiny leaves have the strongest eucalyptus smell!

The fragrance reminds me so much of Australia. ♥

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

We have many varieties of Hellebore, which have been flowering even in the winter, but are so lovely right now. They really seem to thrive in a woodland garden and the deer don’t nibble on them.

The lovely little white Trilliums are now starting to flower – they are native plants.

And last, but not least, and sooo fragrant are the Hyacinths on our doorstep.

Don’t you just love Spring?
Bruce
Administrator
Administrator

Looks like the gardener is doing a great Job Van :)
Rick
Founder
Founder

Great photos Van, what a lovely splash of colour to welcome the warmer days ahead!
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Lovely photos ... fabulous garden, Lucky - a fragrant haven after the stormy blast of winter :-)
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

Wonderful garden and plants, Van.
I can't wait to see more as your weather continues to warm up.
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I'm still out in the garden taking photos between showers! I am amazed at all the varieties of Hellebore that we have. Some of them I don't notice as they hang their heads down, but I make a special effort to get the camera low enough to capture their lovely faces. They seem to thrive in our woodland garden.

The more traditional Spring flowers are thriving too

These primroses have been there for ages, and come back strong every year, it seems.

It's nice to see the little periwinkle flowering beside the house - we have a whole bed of these that make a great ground cover.

Violets are flourishing, everywhere. We have a few white ones, but I haven't seen them yet.

We don't have a lot of daffodils - they prefer a sunnier location and the ones that were under the trees haven't done well. This one is sitting in front of a rhododendron that looks like it will bloom soon.
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

There are some very large rhododendrons under the trees. One of my early flowering favourites is a very light yellow, and is not a hybrid but a species, called r lutescens - I think it must mean "light", because that's what it does - lights up that part of the garden. It has grown quite large over the years.

The large-leafed shrub seen there is also a rhododendron, but it won't be flowering any time soon.

These photos don't really do justice to the delicate luminescent flowers on this rhodo, but it is one I look forward to seeing every Spring.

The other early Spring flowering rhododendron is a fairly common hybrid, this pink one (above) called "Christmas Cheer". It is a much more 'solid' flower, and it tolerates a fair bit of sun.

The camellias are also just coming into bloom. I especially like the cream coloured one.

We saw magnolias blooming in the area too, but ours is a late bloomer. It will be a couple of weeks before I can post pics of those blooms. :rose:
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Brilliant photos, Van, everything looks so fresh and new :) love the first one :yahoo:
Lianne_gray

Hey, it's lovely. Great to see those flowers blooming. Good job Van.
10 posts Page 1 of 1