My Sunflowers

Chat about gardening, plants, flowers and other backyard/garden things in here!
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Rick
Founder
Founder

As a result of spilled seed, I have a few sunflowers in my yard, One is of the "Black Magic" variety. The tallest is at least 6ft high and is still getting taller!

Here is a couple of image:

Thank you to the birds the yard doesn't look quite so bleak... lol

:yahoo:
TomOfLilhouse
Administrator
Administrator

Those sunflowers look super Rick. So much better than ours turned out and we live in The Sunflower State.... :)
Rick
Founder
Founder

The red sunflower got blown down last night as we had a lot of wind and rain pass through. I have had to tie it upright... I hope it doesn't die. it looks like the stem bent rather than snapped
JustDaisy

Wow, I've never seen a red sunflower like that before. Awesome pics.
Rick
Founder
Founder

The sad news is, today, the red sunflower had all of it's petals stripped off by strong winds, The yellow sunflower is starting to look past it's best also. :(
Scottie
Contributor
Contributor

Those are wonderful and so big! I envy you and I bet it rains where you are unlike this dust bowl called the Florida Panhandle. :grin:
I just don't see sunflowers with the enormous heads as I did will visiting the Northern states.

I need to spill a few packets inside the flight. :D Then the flock could eat to their hearts content. The sunflower seeds have a high fat content. Great for the wild birds who remain so active. Pet birds, not so much.
tn usa

very nice love red one
Rick
Founder
Founder

Thank you. the red one did recover thankfully, and it has three new blooms on it... The yellow sunflower has 5 new blooms on it. the original blooms are dead now but the new ones look fantastic!

I am in the process of tidying up the cam area right now, I have planted a few new plants and flowers including a very very nice windmill palm!

Windmill palms can grow to over 22ft tall in the UK, let's hope it does! They are slow growing though.
Glad E Olah

The red sunflower is simply beautiful!
DesertFlower

Before I get pelted with dirt and rocks, let me acknowledge that I'm aware of how old this post is. I just wanted to come on here to compliment these gorgeous sunflower photographs. I've never seen red sunflowers before and I wanted to see for myself (via a google image search) if they actually existed. I have a few yellow (generic) sunflowers that managed sprout up randomly and a friend mentioned red sunflowers -- that's what struck my interest!

Anyway, these photos are simply beautiful! I can just imagine how well decorated it must be during the summer time with those flowers. How wonderful that they randomly sprouted in your yard! Any idea how they came about? I'm sure some wicker patio furniture would compliment them so well.

Take care, folks! Glad to be here!!! =D
10 posts Page 1 of 1