A Hot, Dry Summer

Chat about gardening, plants, flowers and other backyard/garden things in here!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
Lucky Abbot
Supervisor
Supervisor

Our hot, dry summer came to an abrupt end on the weekend. We had rain - driving rain, and very strong winds. We also lost power for a while.

When we went out to survey the damage in our yard, things weren't too bad, and it was so nice to smell the fresh clean air.

Whenever we get high winds we see a lot of little branches down, and the occasional big one, like below, taken last year.

This time was no different, except there were many smaller branches as well, and the ground is now covered with fir needles (the red ground cover in photos below) which of course will get trekked through the house!

Generally we fared much better than other places. Vancouver, our largest city in BC was hit much harder. :( Some homes are still without power.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... age/56440/
Elsa
Contributor
Contributor

Great pictures, Vanislander.
Please, take care of you and your husband.
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Great photos and video of your fabulous gardens, Van and the mountains - what a view :D
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

What a beautiful place you have Van...your home, garden, location....and climate...very envious I am...thanks for sharing
Lucky Abbot
Supervisor
Supervisor

Thanks for the comments - we do love living in this location. It seems to offer most of the best of all worlds. I had forgotten about this thread and was surprised how many photos I'd posted. :rolleyes:

I started writing about this a year ago when we had that drought, but it really did all come to an end on the last day of August, with that big storm. We discovered later that the storm must have taken down the largest eagle nest in the area, which the local eagle pair we see regularly flying by over the bay, called 'home'. It was perched high in a maple tree, and when the leaves had fallen we realized we could no longer see that huge nest. It was a while before we noticed it was gone, as the nest could only be seen from the road that winds around our bay. We think they have re-built the nest somewhere in the forest around us, but haven't spotted it yet.

We had no drought this year - in fact, we had very little summer. What a difference a year makes!

Our yard sees a lot of local wildlife and I have often toyed with the idea of a webcam. But in the meantime, I will start a new thread in a little while documenting some of our flora and fauna!
15 posts Page 2 of 2