Garden Pics

Chat about gardening, plants, flowers and other backyard/garden things in here!
113 posts Page 11 of 12
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

Monkshood is now in bloom (one of the most poisonous plants in the garden!)

You can see how it got its name here:

tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

A day before it suddenly dropped all of its leaves at once in the fall.

TomOfLilhouse
Administrator
Administrator

galahmom wrote:
A day before it suddenly dropped all of its leaves at once in the fall.

Absolutely beautiful. Liz and I planted one a few years ago and it died. I'd like to get another and try again.
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

I have another Japanese maple that hasn't been faring as well. The main trunk has died, but I have an offshoot that's doing ok, so I'm hoping that will turn into the main tree. There are all kinds of beautiful varieties. Keep in mind, however, that they are not native, so may not be as good for wildlife as other native trees. I'm trying not to plant any new trees or bushes that are not native. Native plants support native insects, which support native birds, which is better all around for our ecosystems and biodiversity.

I say this, of course, after showing off many non-native flowers in this topic! lol
wordybirdy
Supervisor
Supervisor

Good gardener GM...I am sure you are good for the enviornment!
midwesterngirl

I really love these pics the flowers are BEAUTIFUL.
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks MWG!

:gm:
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

First the snowdrops came out:

Then the winter aconite:

Spring can't be far behind!
Granny
Contributor
Contributor

Beautiful! I wish I had your green thumb. I hope you are right about spring being soon. Can't wait to see more flowers. Granny
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

I live on the west coast of Canada, on Vancouver Island. After a long, dull winter, we are finally seeing some colour.

We have a large woodland garden on one side of our home. Right now the rhododendrons, and we have many, are flowering. Some of the early ones flower in February, and a few more in March and April. But by May there are many to brighten up the shady areas.

The above rhodo is a large one - at least 12 feet tall, and greets you as you enter the yard.

Above it is seen as you drive by - and you can see another large one over to the side.

Another view of one of our favourite fragrant rhododendrons. The bench there is a lovely peaceful place to sit on a hot day and listen to the birds sing, and the soothing sounds of the little waterfall at the pond across from the bench, but out of view in the above photo.

We have a few little paths through the woodland area. In the above photo you will see that the hostas are pushing through after their winter 'hibernation'.

Another little path - at the far end of it is a small pond, not visible in this photo, but part of it can be seen below.

The metal Heron in the above photo keeps an eye on the pond. Hopefully it prevents other herons or kingfishers from taking the goldfish!
113 posts Page 11 of 12