Step-down Living Room Floor by caddy79

Chat about and show off your favorite arts and crafts!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

This is our living room floor we started January 2010 and finished on Father's Day June 20th, 2010. The wood is second grade hickory, totally unfinished when we bought it. So every board had to be sanded and two coats of finish put on before it was cut and laid on the floor. The very unique thing about this is that my husband is legally blind with retinitis pigmentosa. He has no peripheral vision at all, and he sees what's in front of him with 17% left. So, therefore, I did the sanding and the finishing. He works three days a week at a service center, so it took a little longer to finish. I would get the boards ready for him on those three days to cut and lay them on the floor. It was a challenge, but we had fun doing it. The last pic you will see is the finished product. As far as we can tell, there has never been another floor like it. I could not imagine what he was talking about when he ask if I wanted an octagon floor, but now I see and love it. Hope you enjoy the pics. Big thanks to galahmom for doing this for me.

Love you all,

caddy 79

Sadie
Contributor
Contributor

wow wow wow
Rick
Founder
Founder

That looks just fantastic Caddy, kudos to you and your hubby, I've never seen anything like it before!
KimmyRoo
Founder
Founder

Thats just stunning..... you must be so proud of yourselves for such a classy and awesome job. I cant wait to show my hubby!

:good: :good: :good: :good:
AnitaBier
Supervisor
Supervisor

Wow, that is amazing, kudos to you for taking on a big job like that. Love it.

Anita
Kezza
Contributor
Contributor

Amazing work done Caddy.....truely unbelievable!!! Hubby did a fantastic job!!! P.S. also love the Cat blanket on the chair nicccccce LOL LOL
BIGBILLY21
Contributor
Contributor

Fantastic job Caddy you and hubby must be really proud of it. Never seen anything like it in all my travels'
Thanks for sharing the pics
caddy79
Contributor
Contributor

This is a sky light in the main bathroom,we just put in about a year ago (2011 )
solid wood
camcann

What a wonderful ability to have. That is true craftmanship. Thanks for sharing.
caddy79
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Cam,what a lot of people dont know is that Hubby is legally blind.He used to have his own construction company and had to give it and his drivers licence up all at the same time.Not easy after working from 5:00 am until bed time.He still works three days a week at a servce center working at building a new garage for them now.June 4rd he will have 50 years in the construction, and has 25 years in the fire department.So you can be asured he has never given up. Thanks for the kind words............. Caddy hugsiciles
14 posts Page 1 of 2