Australia Trip 1986 by RB2sMom

Chat about anything here that doesn't fit in other categories!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
RB2sMom
Contributor
Contributor

This was a 16 day trip taken in 1986 by Susanne (aka. RB2sMom) and husband Wally. It was called "Australian Wildlife Adventure" and was run by International Expeditions (in the USA). This was before digital photography, so I scanned pages of my trip album into my computer. While, the quality is not what you would get today with digital photography, I hope that you can get an idea of what we did on the trip and enjoy our pictures.

First is the itinerary day by day of what we did. In a few cases, days were changed around because of weather, etc. Please use this as you go through the pictures

The first part and the best part of our trip was in Cairns and Atherton Tablelands. We went out with real researchers (not tourist guides) that took us to areas of their research. We had a little chuckwagon of sorts that we used to prepare a lot of our meals in local parks.

This is where we saw the platypus swim up into the creek...it is underwater toward the bottom of the picture.

Nests of the bower birds.

We found a little pub closed to where we stayed in Cairns....good beer and my first time to see copper spittoons on the floors. There was a great boomerang store around the corner.

Days out on the reef and islands. I rented an underwater camera and took pictures of the corals, fish, and giant clams. For dinner that night we ate Barrumndi which was the local fish eaten there.

On to Brisbane and the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. We had new naturalist guides here.

This is my husband at the bottom of the page chasing a goanna lizard to our naturalist guide's surprise en route to Lamington.

My husband again with a snake he found out back of O'Reilly's guest house where we stayed.

My husband and me...enjoying the birdlife. Lots to see around the area...nice trails...beautiful place.

Now here we are in Sydney with a new set of naturalist guides. I wish we could have spent more time in Sydney. Highlights were the harbor tour, museum, and Taronga zoo (where we got to behind the scenes in the reptile house), and tour of the opera house.

Really neat sculptures in the harbour area.

On to Melbourne..brrrrrrr with new guides once again. Highlights were the Healesville Sanctuary, Phillip Island, botanical garden and Melbourne zoo.

Last by not least, you know we just got to have our galah fix.

Elsa
Contributor
Contributor

Great pictures, Mom. :-)
Many thanks for sharing with us. :rose:
Bruce
Administrator
Administrator

wow it looks like you had a great time ...probably not long enoug RB :)
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks, RB.

You sure had a great trip.

It's always great to relive the past through photographs. :good:
Granny
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the great pictures RB! What a wonderful trip. Thanks so much for sharing with us!! :good:
PSJFL

Wonderful!!! Thanks so much for sharing...I enjoyed seeing these pictures so much!
joiibear
400 posts!
400 posts!

Just been mooching around Oz, RB with your great pictures :clap: thanks - I became quite lost in them :) They scanned really well :yes:
7 posts Page 1 of 1