Tale of a Tree!

Chat about gardening, plants, flowers and other backyard/garden things in here!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post November 4th, 2018, 11:37 am

We lost a dear friend, yesterday! There was a heavy thud! Then the discovery that a dead arbutus tree beside our deck had fallen, after much rain and strong winds.

I don't remember when we last saw this small tree with leaves, but we have kept it for many years even after it died, as it was a convenient place to hang feeders ... and because it was the 'host' to all kinds of birds and wildlife! The woodpeckers and nuthatches loved it, as well as the squirrels and even raccoons on occasion!

Here is a photo I found of part of it hanging over our deck, about 15 years ago ...

Here is what was left of it, after many years of losing limbs and branches, last summer

That was when the nuthatches hollowed out a nest in it!

All that now remains of that nest is this (below). You can see bright sunlight shining right through the hole which opened up when it crashed to the ground.

Anyway - back to the 'thud' - I dashed over to the window and this is what I saw:

It still will have a useful purpose, this winter!

Hopefully, the firewood will keep us warm on the coldest winter days!
RB2sMom
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post November 4th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Wow what a story. So many trees have fallen in our area with the strong winds and rain here and remnants of hurricanes coming through. A number of people have died here from falling trees and lost homes when a tree fell on them. Glad to see you are alright. Nonetheless,, the tree was a neat part of your deck and a part of your family you will miss as well as the critters that came to it. Nice eulogy for it as it was loved too. :yes:
RB2sMom Image Hannah Image Harry