Rick's Canadian Adventure!

Chat about anything here that doesn't fit in other categories!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 28th, 2018, 5:37 pm

On the trail to the falls - leaning dead cedar (see moss growing on north side of the trunk!)

The roar of the falls was deafening - and the air was filled with water droplets
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 30th, 2018, 7:33 pm

On Friday Rick visited Nanaimo Harbour. It was a warm and sunny day - perfect for strolling along the waterfront, visiting the souvenir shops along the way, viewing the boats and floatplanes landing and taking off - and going for fish 'n chips https://trollersfishandchips.com/ on one of the floating wharfs.

There were whale watching tours, but we didn't go - but this sign warned of whales in the area

Watching floatplanes landing and taking off

We even saw the "grey cliffs of Gabriola Island" in the distance - but they didn't make Rick homesick for the white cliffs of his home town! :D

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post October 6th, 2018, 10:53 am

Yesterday (Friday) turned into another sunny, bright day, although the night time temps had been at record cold levels. :wacko:

We decided to go out for a late fast food brunch and then on to Chemainus, south of Nanaimo. It has been called "The Little Town that Did" (click). It has become quite a tourist attraction, with its many murals on buildings, and gift shops and antique stores. Fortunately, this late in the season it was quiet and not milling with people.

We took a few photos (some of the murals in the above link are featured), but Rick wasn't able to get into all the shots - so I 'arranged' a few to include him! D) (Can you tell which ones?) :secret:

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post October 6th, 2018, 11:58 am

This link has pics of all of the 44 murals in Chemainus: https://muraltown.com/background/history and the town's history, etc.

Chemainus also has a thriving theatre that is fun to attend - especially 'dinner theatre'! https://chemainustheatrefestival.ca/

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post October 10th, 2018, 1:10 pm

We re-visited Goats on the Roof today - it was sunny and we wanted to get a good view of the goats!

See if you can spot any!

There they are! (Below)

Their logo indicates that it's not a good idea to stand directly under the roof's edge! LOL
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post October 14th, 2018, 8:32 am

We have just returned from short overnight trip to the west coast – the towns of Tofino and Ucluelet.

In summer it could be a day trip, but with shorter days and a very winding road (undergoing major construction and blasting causing delays) we decided to leave early on Thursday morning, and return yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

We were very lucky with the weather. Even though it was foggy and overcast when we left on Thursday morning, we were soon in brilliant sunshine which illuminated the yellow maple leaves. The interior mountains of Vancouver Island were fully visible in all their craggy glory! By the time we approached the west side of the Island the large cedars were visible – many with their broken tops; in the autumn sun every view looked like a painting!

I didn’t manage to get any pictures from the road trip – maybe Rick did?

I had been looking forward to this trip, because one of my favourite places on Vancouver Island is the area around Tofino and Pacific Rim National Park. I love the wide stretches of beach and the surf and the wildness and knew that Rick would love them too!

A typical view of Wickaninnish Beach – so many logs piled up, for miles and miles.

Our first stop was the Wickanninnish Interpretive Centre, but to our dismay it was closed. We never did learn the reason – there was no sign explaining. :( But in a previous visit I had taken some photos which I’ll share here, for Rick’s benefit too, as he was looking forward to seeing what I’d described.

The Centre’s restaurant was also closed; the lovely, rustic building has fabulous views of the beach and the surf.

On a previous visit, a few years ago, the view from our table was impressive and gives an idea of the great views.

The adjoining Centre has a magnificent exhibit of life-size sculpted native whale hunters in the process of harpooning a whale.
Below are some photos I took of some of the displays at what has now been re-named the Kwisitis Visitor Centre on Wickaninnish Beach – adjoining our favourite Long Beach.

This is Parks Canada official video of the Kwisitis Visitor Centre and its displays:

This is a webcam showing Long Beach which adjoins Wickaninnish Beach - 6 miles long and the longest on the west coast of Vancouver Island.
Bruce
Administrator
Administrator

Post October 14th, 2018, 8:49 am

Thank's Van enjoyed that :)
RB2sMom
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post October 14th, 2018, 8:50 am

I enjoyed the trip too....feel like I am touring your whole area....
RB2sMom Image Hannah Image Harry
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

Post October 14th, 2018, 9:01 am

You live on a wonderful island, Van.

Thanks for all the descriptions and photos.
Al. :drinks:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post October 14th, 2018, 9:40 am

After the disappointment of not being able to visit the centre, we drove on towards Tofino and our overnight accommodation – a charming 2-bedroom cottage in the forest! It was close to Tofino and just across from another favourite beach of ours – Chesterman Beach! This beach is unique as it is kind of split in two, with a rocky island in the middle that is accessible at low tide.

We went down to the beach and Rick and the Gardener left me on a log (I was having trouble walking far as my sciatica had flared up).
They took this distant shot of me looking as though I’m playing golf – but I was actually writing in the sand! hahaha ;)

Rick explored the beach – but decided not to sign up for surf school (but renting a bicycle might have seemed like a good idea)!

Chesterman Beach is outside the National Park, so there are many interesting homes alongside the beach, hidden among the trees.

This home is one we always check out – it looks so unusual!

After their little stroll along the beach, the guys returned to see what I’d written in the sand!

Later that evening we returned to the other end of Chesterman beach to see if there would be much of a sunset. There wasn't, as it had clouded over, but we had a few laughs sitting on the rocks watching the beach goings-on, and wishing we'd thought of building a fire!

People were able to walk across to the rocky Frank Island at low tide

The distant lighthouse