Rick's Canadian Adventure!

Chat about anything here that doesn't fit in other categories!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 17th, 2018, 7:38 am

And now to today!

Rick rescued another bird today - this time it was an even smaller one - a Pine Siskin. We heard the thud on the window, and at first saw no sign of a bird outside, but then I stepped outside and saw it spread-eagled on the ground. :( We have had a Hawk around for the last few days and I think it has been frightening the birds off the feeders, and they scatter in all directions.

Rick picked it up, cradled it in his hands, stroked it until he saw signs of life, then gently placed it in the large planter beside the window, in the shade of the hydrangea growing there.

You can see it is still dazed in that photo - poor wee thing! But after about half an hour it was sufficiently recovered to hop to the edge of the planter and fly off. :-)

This all happened before the pancake brekkie!

I don't make them very often, but I gather the blueberry pancakes must have been OK as all were eaten, along with rashers of bacon and maple syrup!

Even so, in the photo below it does look as though he was not enjoying ... having his photo taken?

(he did give permission for me to post this!) ;)
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 18th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Today we went to Qualicum Beach, which is a very pretty town. Rick visited our favourite gift shop, and was contemplating absconding with one of the cats, but he saw the Mountie was watching him!

After visiting many of the stores I was exhausted, so we decided to go to the beach for an ice cream

Later, we spotted something that had washed up ...

But it turns out it was Rick, enjoying the view (that's Hornby Island, of Hornby Eagle fame behind him).

We headed back home, and later that evening it was looking like there might be a good 'photo op' down on our little deck, as the sun was setting. It was the first time Mt. Arrowsmith had been seen for several days.

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 19th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Today was a lovely sunny day - the first one since Rick's visit, so we decided to go visit a real rain forest! We went to Cathedral Grove, about 25 minutes away.

On the trail

It helped to see how huge these trees are when Rick was standing there!

After a leisurely stroll through the forest, we headed on to Port Alberni, on the west coast - story and pics to follow
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 20th, 2018, 11:18 am

So ... we went to Port Alberni yesterday, at the head of a long inlet (fjord) that stretches to the west coast.

First place we stopped was at the Clam Bucket https://www.clambucket.ca/ for lunch, where, fortunately for Rick they had burgers, as well as mostly seafood.

After stuffing ourselves we went down to the Harbour Quay - it was lovely - sunny and warm!

Here's a fishing boat for Bruce - think that's Rick off to the side (cowering under the eagle)!

The clock on the tower was out by 2 hours - think Rick climbed up there too!

There is a lovely fountain there - beautifully carved fish - and the other side of Mt. Arrowsmith (which is normally viewed by us from my home) ... Oh and I think Rick perched on the fountain edge!

Rick perked up when we saw our first bear ...

And he smiled when anticipating the pumpkin pie he thinks I'm going to make for Canadian Thanksgiving next month. :)

Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 20th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Qualicum Beach

Cathedral Grove

Port Alberni

Recent Sunset

AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

Post September 20th, 2018, 1:02 pm

You sure live in a wonderful part
of the world, Van,
Al. :drinks:
RB2sMom
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 20th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Get my room ready...... 🤩
RB2sMom Image Hannah Image Harry
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 21st, 2018, 3:15 am

So glad you're enjoying Rick's adventure - It's good that he had room in his luggage for you! :D

You know where I live, RB! :)

PS: You might not hear from us for a while ... A special weather statement has been issued for today and tomorrow!

“A pair of Pacific disturbances are approaching the south coast of BC and will bring rain heavy at times to Vancouver Island … 50 – 100 mm rain expected in total from two systems … The highest rainfall amounts are expected over … parts of East Vancouver Island.
Power ‘outages’ are possible: Southeast winds will increase late this afternoon ahead of the first system. Communities near Georgia Strait will feel the strongest winds with speeds reaching 40 to 60 km/h for most of tonight and Friday. Given the much drier than normal conditions experienced this summer, some drought-stressed trees could be more susceptible to wind damage at these moderate speeds.”
Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 24th, 2018, 3:21 pm

Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 25th, 2018, 3:07 am