Rick's Canadian Adventure!

Chat about anything here that doesn't fit in other categories!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 25th, 2018, 10:45 am

Rick - getting ready for his Australian visit!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 25th, 2018, 2:07 pm

I love the collage video Rick posted this morning (previous page). It touched on many of the places he has visited.

Yesterday we went for a little walk to Brickyard Bay in Nanoose – which is the name of the general area where I live. https://www.nanoosecommunity.ca/

Here’s a little video I found on line of the short walk we took.

History of the area can be found in the above link. (Rick laughed about an area having a history that fit into less than one page!)

Yesterday’s posted video of the small beach and people was taken a few days ago - it is across the street from us. It was starting to rain heavily and the waves were crashing. (Who were those old people, Rick?) LOL

The sea lions are regulars all year long – and people who live on that side eventually get used to their ‘honking’. They are very noisy.

Today’s photo (above) shows Rick wearing the gardener’s Akubra hat! The kookaburra decal on the window behind him was coincidental – but very appropriate, given the Aussie theme!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 26th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Today was a lovely sunny afternoon, so we decided to visit North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre https://www.niwra.org/ which is located nearby.

Many of the creatures that are rescued and rehabbed here are releasable, but those that are not remain on site for educational purposes, and they are viewable. There is a huge flight cage that houses several Bald Eagles, many of which were juveniles to be released once they can fly well and when there are salmon available, spawning in local rivers.

We don't have many Golden Eagles around here, but this one is non-releasable and is on display for the public, along with many other birds, such as owls, hawks, falcons, ravens.

There are a couple of resident bears, non-releasable - and we were fortunate to see Knut being fed. He is very large and old, and has recently been introduced to a new younger female, who also cannot be released.

There are usually orphaned bear cubs in residence that are viewable only on CCTV, to prevent them becoming used to people, prior to being released into the wild. Some had been recently released, but there were a few in residence.

The large pond on site is home to many waterbirds and turtles.

Prior to leaving, we posed beside this large statue! :shock: :D

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 26th, 2018, 6:52 pm

After a couple of hours at NIWRA we drove up 'Little Mountain' which is very close by - and often the site for eagle releases.

Mt. Arrowsmith in background

Rick taking a selfie - (just step back a bit, Rick!) :shock:

Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 28th, 2018, 2:42 am

A few days ago I went outside to take some photos of the sunset and while standing there I heard scratching to my right, I turned around to see a whole family of Raccoons staring back at me, a couple of them were part way up a tree!

Not the best photos due to the low light conditions, unfortunately.

Here was the sunset that I wanted to take a photo of!

Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 28th, 2018, 2:51 am

a few of my favourites from niwra
Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 28th, 2018, 3:37 am

Little Mountain:
Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 28th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Little Qualicum Falls
]Image
Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 28th, 2018, 2:09 pm

vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 28th, 2018, 2:44 pm

It was a lovely sunny, warm afternoon, so we decided to take the short drive to Little Qualicum Falls - as you can see, the Falls aren't 'little' but that is the name of the river (as opposed to the Big Qualicum River)!

I really like Rick's video - he captured the beauty and 'spirit' of these Falls. It is a local favourite place of ours to visit. :heart: