Part 2: How to Upload a Screenshot

Have a problem with your computer, TV or other electronic? Get help here!
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

Post October 29th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Now that you have a screenshot, how do you upload it to our forum? Screenshots cannot be directly uploaded from your computer to a forum. First you must upload it to an online site. Once it is there, you can copy IMG code to a forum to display your screenshot. Don’t worry, this tutorial will show you exactly how to do that!

Step 1: Upload Your Screenshot to a Photo-Sharing Website

The first part is uploading your screenshot. If you already have an online place to store your pictures, you can just upload your screenshot there and skip to the next section. If not, there are a couple of ways to get your screenshot online.

The quick and easy way to upload screenshots is using http://tinypic.com/. This is the first screen you will see:

Click on “Choose File” and pick the screenshot on your computer that you want to upload. Leave the rest of the choices as is. Click on “Upload Now”. The following screen will come up:

Type in the words you see, and then click “Upload Now”. This is the next screen you will see:

On the right side, you will see a small picture of the screenshot you have uploaded. You can view it full size, if you want, by clicking on “View Full Size Image”. On the left side, you see four different lines of code. The one you will need to upload your picture to backyardGALAHCam is the second one down – IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards. Put your mouse in this box, which should highlight the entire line. Right click with your mouse and highlight “copy”.

You have now copied your IMG code to your clipboard and are ready to upload it to the screenshots section of the forum.

If you join TinyPic, you can upload batches of screenshots together. There are many other online sites use can use to store your pictures, such as Flickr, Picasa, Shutterfly, Photobucket, and others. Here is a list of major sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ph ... g_websites

In all cases, you will need to find the IMG code, which may also be listed under “BBCode”, and copy it. For example, using my Photobucket account, when I bring up an image I want to put in our screenshots forum, I will see something like this:

If I place my mouse in the IMG Code box, the code is automatically copied to the clipboard. Make sure you pick a program that has IMG or BBCode available if you want to use screenshots or other pictures in forums or chat.

Step 2: Upload Your Screenshot to backyardGALAHCam

Now that you have your IMG code, you are ready to upload it to our screenshot forum. If you scroll down from the cam, you will see a list of forums which looks like this (I have cut off the right side so you can see the left side more clearly):

Click on “General Discussion”, under section “Generic Banter”. The first topic you will see is “Your Cam Screenshots”. Click on that.

This next screen will appear:

Click on “POSTREPLY” in the pink box at the upper left. The following screen will appear:

Now you are ready to paste in that IMG code you copied earlier! Just place your cursor in the large box, right click with your mouse, and hit paste! Make sure that you see IMG code at either end of your picture. Change the subject to something descriptive, such as a funny or serious caption.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see boxes labeled Save, Preview, and Submit.

Until you are comfortable with this procedure, you may want to click on Preview to make sure everything looks correct. Once you are set, hit Submit, and your screenshot will be uploaded!

Once your picture is uploaded, you will see a message that your message has been posted successfully. Click on “View your submitted message” to see your screenshot at the end of the screenshot list.

Your name will appear in the right margin. You can edit or delete your post at this time, if you want.

Congratulations! You now know how to upload screenshots! In the next tutorial, I will show you how to upload photos to other forums at backyardGALAHCam.