Part 1: How to Capture a Screenshot

Have a problem with your computer, TV or other electronic? Get help here!
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

Post October 25th, 2010, 7:02 pm

First, change the cam picture to full screen. To do this, click on the black box on the bottom right just below the cam.

Once your picture is full screen, you can take your screenshot.

Windows XP:

To do this, first locate on your keyboard the “print screen” button, usually abbreviated “prt sc” or “print scr”. It is usually on the right side of the keyboard somewhere in the top two rows, and there may be other writing on the key as well. It varies in location from keyboard to keyboard.

To take a screen shot, you will need to press this key. If the “prt sc” is on the lower part of the key, just press the key to get the screenshot. If it is in the upper part of the key, you will need to press the “shift” key at the same time, like an uppercase letter. Some keyboards, especially on laptops, may require different key combinations, such as pressing a separate "fn" (function) key to access the row with "prt scr" on it. If you are unsure of how to get to "prt sc", check your computer's manual or help function.

Okay, now you have a screenshot. But where is it? And what do you do with it?

The screenshot is in your clipboard. So now you need to transfer it into an image editing program to make any changes you want and save it as a picture. Once it is saved as an image file, you can do anything you want with it, including uploading online. Online uploads will be discussed in the next article.

For now, let us focus on managing the screenshot. If you have an image editing program, such as Adobe Photoshop, you can paste the screenshot into there and edit it. Most people, however, will want to use a program such as Paint, which comes with all computers with Windows.

To open Paint, click on the Start button on the bottom left of the screen, then click on Programs, Accessories, and Paint.

Once Paint come up, hover over the white area with your mouse and press Ctrl-V (for paste, both keys held down together, with Ctrl pressed first). Your screenshot will appear.

If you want to trim your picture, click on the box with the rectangle in it, and then use your mouse to create a box around the portion of the picture you want to keep. If you do not want to trim your picture, skip to the next paragraph. Click on Ctrl-C (for copy). Next click on File at the upper left, and then on New. Click “No” when it asks you to save changes. A screen with a white box will come up. Hover over the box, and then press Ctrl-V. You can now save your edited picture.

To save your picture, click on File, and then Save. A box will pop up asking you where to save the picture, what to call it, and in what format. Make sure you remember where you save the picture so you will be able to upload it afterwards! While you have a choice of formats, JPG is the best for uploading to websites.

To see a video of this process, watch here:
http://video.about.com/graphicssoft/Win ... v.--8z.htm

There are also many programs out there which are free or low cost and which make it easier to capture screenshots than the methods described here. These programs will automatically save your screenshot as a graphics file without having to convert it. This article provides an overview of many of the most popular programs, including two which are totally free: http://www.writersua.com/articles/captu ... index.html

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

While Windows Vista and Windows 7 have a new Snipping Tool to take screenshots, it is not ideal for taking either full screen view or for taking screenshots of live action because of the need for multiple mouse clicks, causing a delay in completing the screenshot.

To take screenshots in Windows Vista and Windows 7, follow the same procedures as for Windows XP for pressing the Print Screen key. The Paint program has been improved in Windows 7 and is now easier to use.

After you take your screenshot and pull up Paint, you will see a Paste button on the top left. Click on that, then choose "paste" to paste your screen shot into the white box.

If you want to crop your picture, it is easier to zoom out first given the size of the full-screen screenshot. Click the View tab on the top, then click Zoom out.

The picture will be a more manageable size now. Click back on the Home tab. Now outline your selection with your mouse. If that does not work correctly, click on Crop to the right, and then drag your mouse over your selection. Click Crop again, and your smaller selection will appear.

Now you can save your picture for later uploading. Click on the unmarked tab to the left of Home for a pull-down menu. Choose Save. A new screen will pop up.

Pick a file name and location, and change from default PNG to JPG. Click save, and you will be all done.

Mac OS X:

To capture the entire desktop, press Command-Shift-3 and release. You'll hear a sound like a camera shutter click. The screen shot will be automatically saved as a PNG picture file (they are numbered consecutively) on your desktop.
If your Mac sends picture files elsewhere than the desktop, press Command-F to search for the files. Once your picture is saved, click the picture to open. Click File, then Save As, and select JPEG from the drop-down menu.

Once the picture is saved, edit or crop the picture, as needed, in iPhoto or another graphics program.

There, you’ve done it! In the next article, we will discuss how to upload your screenshot to the web, and then to load it into the screenshots section of backyardGALAHCam.

Thanks to all who provided help and advice, especially NannyMac for Windows 7 and Sootie for Mac!
Scottie
Contributor
Contributor

Post October 26th, 2010, 1:12 am

You certainly made that clear enough and I could have used the help once I started out.

Thank you Galahmom for sharing this.

I am seriously thinking of getting a "helper/ screen shot" programme and I know I will have to pay, so which one.

Possibly everyone if they use such a screen snagger to take a copy of the cam screen, can give a short synopsis as to why they like a particular one.
I did attempt to try one for free but it kept popping up at the most inopportune times.

I want to be ready when the Corellas start coming for a feed and when the Black cockatoos come on through!
Scottie
Contributor
Contributor

Post October 26th, 2010, 1:14 am

BTW I took the Paint file and made a shortcut on my desktop as it saves time for me.

Scottie
TomOfLilhouse
Administrator
Administrator

Post October 26th, 2010, 10:10 am

Thanks Galahmom.... You Rock!!!.....Perfectly done with the pics and all....WTG!!!
tiellover
Contributor
Contributor

Post October 27th, 2010, 3:47 am

The tutorial has now been revised to include a link to a review of popular free and paid screenshot programs. If you are happy with one of these or another program, please post the information here! Thanks.