A Raccoon Tale!

Chat about your favourite birds, pets or animals in the wild.
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post July 19th, 2018, 10:58 am

I wish I’d had my camera with me yesterday evening around 8 pm when I decided to go down to our little deck over the water to see where the tide was at …

As I stepped down to the deck I suddenly realized there was a raccoon halfway down the lower steps to the left; these steps go down to a little cement platform just above the rocky shore. She was looking up at me. (Sorry - as I said, I didn't have my camera with me).

These are the steps she was on. Below her were two of her young kits. I assumed that our little raccoon family which we’ve had glimpses of recently, had graduated from tree climbing 101 to beach foraging 101! Mama was probably taking them to forage along the shore.

The gate at the bottom of the steps (installed to prevent the otters from climbing up) proved to be no obstacle – Mama R jumped to the railing beside the gate and climbed around it to the handrail on the last short flight of steps down to the rocky shore. The kits were in pursuit, but they had possibly learned other important lessons. To my amazement, one young ‘kit’ jumped up, but didn’t follow mom around the gate post; instead the youngster released the latch on the gate, so that it swung open …

The youngster jumped down to the cement platform and both 'kits' then scurried through the gate opening to join their mum, racing along behind her to find cover behind some big rocks!

The amazing story doesn't end there, though ... While still looking to see where the little family had gone, I was joined by my husband who told me that I had to come back up to our patio to see what was happening there …

It appears that there are at least two raccoon families in our immediate area - While I’d been watching one little family of raccoons, he’d been watching our ‘regular’ Mama raccoon taking her 3 kits up the large Douglas Fir beside the patio – I could actually see them from our lower deck when I peered up! Fortunately they stayed put while he went to get the camera!

Peek-a-boo!