Rick's Canadian Adventure!

Chat about anything here that doesn't fit in other categories!
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 13th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Rick arrived in Canada on Sept 10th. His plane landed in Vancouver, and he then took public transit (skytrain & bus) to Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal. He just missed the 3:30 PM ferry to Nanaimo's Departure Bay, where I would be meeting him. So he spent a couple of hours acclimatizing and admiring the views. I hope he shares some of his photos here - it looks lovely, even if it was cool and rainy!

He eventually arrived as it was getting dark and we had a short, uneventful journey to my home, After lots of chatting, and a light snack Rick went off to bed in our open loft (the guest suite is not very private) and as it was dark he was able to get a good sleep which helped with the jet lag. Poor guy had been up for over 24 hours by then!

View from the loft

And so to bed ...
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 13th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Yesterday we had torrential rain in the morning. Things did not look good for poking our noses outside!

Fortunately it cleared up by afternoon and we went for a little walk around the neighbourhood. We walked along the rocky shore and took some photos. The clouds obscured the mainland mountains, but we could see some of the larger islands in the background:

In the last photo you can see how clear the water was (directly behind where we were standing). Rick was not tempted to jump in for a swim! :D
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm

Today we went to visit the nearby Englishman River Falls. It was fine when we left the house, but rain started when we got to the falls 20 minutes later.

After spending some time taking photos and viewing the falls from above, we decided to take the trail loop to the lower pools, then re-crossing the river and back up (breathlessly for some) to our starting point.

Rick couldn't resist getting to the edge of the water and testing it to see how cold - he said it wasn't too bad. The trees were old and dense and there was much moss and ferns - hard to believe that this rain forest had been in a drought all summer!

On the way back up Rick showed us how big these hollow stumps were!

We made it safely back to our vehicle without encountering any signs of bears, much to Rick's relief.
:this:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 14th, 2018, 6:46 pm

It really started to rain very hard after we left the falls, so we took a short drive to the nearby "Goats on the Roof" market.

Unfortunately it was raining so hard we couldn't see any goats, so the above photo is one from the 'net. We dashed inside to wander around and see what wonders there were to purchase. And the first thing we came across was ...

Image :D

It was so colourful inside the store with all the lanterns hanging, that a few more photos were taken:

(No - he didn't buy it!)

We left shortly after for a meal at the nearby 'Trees' restaurant - where Rick appeared to enjoy a rather large burger! :yes:
Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 15th, 2018, 5:42 am

Horseshoe Bay, it started raining when I arrived there and the rainbow appeared.

Water fountain in Horseshoe Bay

Marina next to Horseshoe bay ferry terminal

Moody view from the ferry

A sunset view

View from the point at the end of Vanislanders street.

Mount Arrowsmith early this morning
KimmyRoo
Founder
Founder

Post September 15th, 2018, 1:20 pm

OMG what an adventure already :) Rick has been blessed with 2 amazing people to allow him to stay and experience something so priceless xxx
Need to get my butt over there!!!
Kim Steedman :yahoo:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 16th, 2018, 1:22 pm

It would be lovely to see Kim and Mick out here! ♥

We are keeping busy with Rick - days are flying by. The weather has not been great, but it's so much like the weather Rick is used to in UK that it doesn't seem to matter too much.

Yesterday we drove around the Nanoose peninsula, which is the general area where we're located, looking to see how many deer we could find (in peoples' yards). We saw many, munching on garden plants, and Rick did take some photos. I didn't have my camera, so have no pics.

First we stopped at Schooner Cove to admire the marina, then up onto the ridge above, where we decided that the many grand homes would appeal to Kim! :yes: Maybe Rick will show some of his photos? :-)

Today it was supposed to rain all day, but it brightened up a bit and we went into Nanaimo to the big mall there.

Before that, though, Rick did something very heroic (and touching). I'm sure he'll explain and show you pics of Rick, the Finch Whisperer! :giveheart:
:
Rick
Founder
Founder

Post September 16th, 2018, 4:23 pm

The local deer munching on peoples front yards.

Ridiculously steep driveway!

Scarecrows

As for the "Heroic" part of today, I heard a bang on the window and decided to check it out, a goldfinch had flown into the glass and was on the ground in a daze so I went outside in my socks (they got soaked through!) scooped it up and placed it under a plant in a pot to recover, it was a good 15 mins before it come to enough and thankfully fly off again!

Mistaken Island with a rainbow.
AussieAl
Administrator
Administrator

Post September 16th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Keep the narration and photos coming, Van and Rick. They’re excellent!

Is that your driveway, Van?
Al. :drinks:
vanislander
Supervisor
Supervisor

Post September 17th, 2018, 7:27 am

We almost forget to tell of the raccoon visit the other day. I glanced out of the window and saw some movement below one of the bird feeders, and sure enough it was a couple of raccoons. We watched them for a while, before mama raccoon spotted us. Rick was very happy to see them, as he was beginning to wonder if they'd put in an appearance during daylight.

I have no doubt that there will be many more sightings of these masked bandits! They seem to have discovered a way to pull down/shake the tube feeder with the shelled seeds - every time we think it has been made raccoon-proof they work around it, and find new ways to get at the seed and spill it out on the ground below